Sunday, August 31, 2008

English Rose

Bianca Rose, the London based soloist opening for Movement in the UK, talks about her music and inspirations.

For the last two years, Bianca has been performing at gigs in and around London, sharing her original songs about life and love, accompanying herself on acoustic guitar as well as collaborating with some of London's most talented musicians. She pours her heart into her songs, which are often about things she has observed about the world around her.

How would you describe your music to someone who hasn't heard it before?

I would describe my music as kind of acoustic soul. I would say it's a mixture of jazz, soul, folk, acoustic, with observational storytelling.

Who are your musical influences?

I'm generally influenced by fiction, poems, John Mayer, Dinah Washington, Otis Redding, Fiona Apple, India Arie, Gnarls Barkely, Jonny Lang, Arctic Monkeys and unsigned artist that I've had the pleasure of sharing a stage with like Baby Sol, Charlene Soraia, Gavin Holligan, Jonas, Abdul Shyllon, Drivin Me Crazy... the list goes on.

What subjects do you tackle in your lyrics?

I tend to write about things I've observed or learnt, I suppose. I don't sit down and think I'm gonna write about this or that, but I think I write about whatever is going on at the time. I'm not one of those writers who can churn them out; I think I have to be inspired. My songs tend to be quite hopeful, not really dark and exciting like say Antony and the Johnsons or Amy Winehouse, which is a shame!

Your music is available through Movement (available on PLAYSTATION Store); how are the Internet and downloads changing the face of the music industry?

Internet and downloads have changed the face of the industry a lot. The labels are having to change the way they go about the business of music, and the artists have a lot more tools to work with. On the other hand with the advent of MySpace, YouTube and the rest, I think musicians need to be careful about over saturation. I find it hugely satisfying randomly discovering new music, and I think it would be nice to leave room for people to do that. Movement is a great example of finding new music is a place you mightn't have expected to find it.

What do you think of the general perception of music from your country?

I would like to think that the general perception of music from this country is highly creative and experimental in a way that you might not find elsewhere.

Are you touring this year or will you be doing any festivals?

I'm not touring this year as I'm concentrating on recording new music, however I will be gigging sporadically; all details on my MySpace.

Bianca Rose's Movement videos can be downloaded from PLAYSTATION Store. More about Bianca Rose can be found on her MySpace page, myspace.com/biancarosemusic.




Spellbinding
Guitar Hero World Tour DLC on Wii
A rose by any other name