Sunday, August 15, 2010

My favourite minis

Which minis titles have made a big impression with people in the videogames industry?

"My favourite minis title is Blast Off. I like it as the game uses only one action button and the directional buttons. All elements of the game are shown in one screen, with clear rules based on real physics, so when you fail (and you fail often!), you feel that it was your mistake. You can spend one minute with it or 30 minutes, an ideal minis game for busy people who can only have a short amount of time to play games during a hectic day. The developer has done a great job!"

Shuhei Yoshida, president, SCE Worldwide Studios

"I really enjoy Monsters (probably) Stole My Princess. This game is immediate, addictive and fun - everything you want from a minis. The aim is simple; to rescue the princess who has (probably) been abducted by monsters. It's a simple platformer requiring precision and accuracy. Great fun! Another favourite is Fieldrunners.As a fan of tower defence inspired games, this gives me everything I want from the genre with endless replayability."

Michael Denny, senior vice president, SCE Worldwide Studios

"I think minis are great because there is now something for everyone in the category. I'm a racing game junkie, so I've had a lot of kicks out of Aero Racer. I had the limited edition Rocket Racing version before it was renamed to Aero Racer, too. It has a very well designed, original racing game mechanic in the form of the grind boost, which takes hours to perfect, but feels great when you get it right. Some of the levels are an absolute killer, they make my eyes water it's so challenging, but every time you play you get a little bit better. It's very addictive. I think Aero Racer is a great example of what can be achieved by a minis game; a great idea executed with addictive gameplay as the first priority."

James Marsden, managing director, FuturLab

"My favourite minis are the ones we have made: Zombie Tycoon, Young Thor and Widgets Odyssey. I played Young Thor a lot with my daughter during the summer and we had a blast. I'd say that their most positive effect was that they helped us a lot in building up a solid relationship with Sony Computer Entertainment as well as learning the ropes of developing and self publishing on PlayStation Network."

Martin Brouard, executive producer, Frima Studio

"I really love a lot of the games on the minis platform. I think it's a great place to find quirky new titles and original content. Of all the minis, Age of Zombies is probably my favourite. It's a great game in a lot of ways. I like the visuals and humour, but most of all the challenge; it's got some tough levels in the game that are a lot of fun to try and beat - I would recommend giving it a shot!"

Paul Croft, managing director, MediaTonic

Visit PlayStation Store to check out the great minis titles available.



See the Future of PS3™ First – Episode 8‘Thor’ Star Says Vikings’ ‘Fearlessness’ Inspired His Portrayal